ข้อสอบเป็นแบบปรนัย 4 และ 6 ตัวเลือก จำนวน 60 ข้อ คะแนนเต็ม 150 คะแนน
Part One : Speaking (Items 1-15)
Choose the best answer.
- Peter: Hi, Jeff. Come on in. Was it difficult to find my place?
Jeff: You gave really good directions.
- How come?
- Yes, it was difficult.
- Where was it?
- Not at all.
- A: You know what! I had a bad fall in front of the building.
- Can I help you?
- How awful!
- Lucky you!
- No problem!
- Ben: This computer is driving me crazy.
Tan: Why? ?
Ben: It’s too slow. I can’t get anything done.
- What’s the matter
- Is it wrong
- What do you do
- Is it too slow
- A: The state pension for old people is wholly inadequate.
B: . No one can live on 500 baht a month.
- I couldn’t agree more
- It should be O.K.
- I’m not sure
- Old people spend less money
|Sam:||Hello, Sam speaking.|
|Mary:||Hello, Sam. Sorry I didn’t show up this afternoon. My car broke down, and I left my cell phone at the office. Did everything go OK at the meeting?|
|Sam:||Yes, 5 .|
|Mary:||How about your project proposal?|
|Sam:||6 too. Only a few minor things to fix up.|
|Mary:||Congratulations! 7 ?|
|Sam:||I’m all right. Thanks anyway.|
- all aboard
- No way
- big deal
- better than expected
- It was
- It went fine
- This is it
- That’s that
- Don’t you need it
- Do you need any help
- Do you need anyone
- Do you need it at all
|Paul:||Can we stop for a while? I’m really tired.|
|Paul:||No. I don’t think I can climb any more.|
|David:||But you’ve got to see this. The view up here is spectacular.|
- Come on. You’re stronger than that.
- Stop there if you want.
- Is it too high to climb?
- Is it too hard for you?
- Yes, I will
- I prefer fresh air
- No, I think I’ll stay here
- No problem at all
|Jack:||Please show me how to make “tom yam koong.”|
|Prapan:||It’s very easy.|
|Jack:||10 Can I make it when I go back to Australia?|
|Prapan:||Of course. Just get the ready-made “tom yam koong” pack.|
|Prapan:||At any convenient store. Put the stuff in a pot of boiling water. Then add some shrimp, mushrooms, lime juice and salt. 12 .|
- Do you?
- Is it?
- You’re right.
- I’m not sure.
- Where can I get it?
- Do you buy it often?
- I’ve seen that before.
- I haven’t seen it anywhere.
- You’re right
- Right there
- It’s right
- That’s it
|Tom:||Hello. My name’s Tom. 13 ?|
|Mary:||Yes, please. I’m Mary, a new resident here. 14 the cafeteria.|
|Tom:||Well, the cafeteria is in the next building, over there.|
|Mary:||I see. Is the food here any good?|
|Tom:||Well, 15 .|
|Mary:||Great. I’m a bit particular about food.|
- Let’s be friends, shall we
- Could you give me a hand
- Can I help you with something
- Would you like to introduce yourself
- I’ve been to
- I have meals in
- I’m heading for
- I’m looking for
- good food is important for health
- good food is hard to find
- it’s never given me cause for complaint
- there’s food in the cafeteria
Part Two : Vocabulary (Items 16-27)
Items 16-19: Odd One Out
Three of the words in each group relate to one another in their meaning. Choose the word that does NOT belong.
Items 20-23 : Meaning Recognition
Choose the alternative which has the same meaning as the underlined word in the given sentence.
- You can choose Japanese as an elective course.
- By the time the main course came, I was already full.
- Make sure you follow the right course.
- I’d rather take an evening course than a day-time one.
- They’re building a new golf course next to the hotel.
- Be careful with that chair. One of its legs is loose.
- The trousers are too loose for the boy.
- Harry let the horses loose in the field.
- She wore her hair loose around her shoulders.
- Make sure that the plug has not come loose.
- The baby watched the dog with interest.
- There are many places of interest near the city.
- These investors have a controlling interest in the new company.
- Government efforts to discourage smoking are in the interest of public health.
- She had to pay a lot of interest to the bank where she got the loan.
- The drug may affect your power of concentration, so don’t drive after taking it.
- It is not in my power to cancel Mr. Thomson’s order.
- The brain damage caused him to lose his power of speech.
- How long has the Conservative Party been in power?
- Scientists are working to find ways to make full use of solar power.
Items 24-27: Meaning in Context
Choose the best alternative to make the sentence(s) meaningful.
- Galileo’s belief in the importance of scientific experimentation him out as one of the first modern scientists. His mathematical description of ways objects fall is still today.
- brings – sensible
- rules – factual
- marks – valid
- singles – doubtful
- Biological viruses can run through a large portion of the human population. Similarly, their electronic counterparts can among computers.
- manufactured – expand
- uncontrolled – spread
- unrestrained – extend
- implemented – occur
- Before the of the computer, typists would stop to make corrections. This had the effect of providing many small rest breaks. Today, computer users must devise their own mini-breaks to prevent use of the hands and wrists that can lead to RSI injuries.
- production – external
- arrival – reliable
- advent – excessive
- commencement – independent
- Obama’s was a big part of his election success. His ability to explain problems was seen as almost to an ability to fix them.
- elegance – additional
- appearance – comparable
- prudence – sensible
- eloquence – equivalent
Part Three : Reading (Items 28-45)
Choose the best answer.
- Where are you most likely to see this sign?
- At an airport
- At a public park
- At a race track
- At a supermarket parking lot
- Age between 25-35 years old
- Excellent command of spoken & written English
- Ability to effectively plan daily, weekly and monthly work activities
- At least Bachelor’s degree in Communications or related field
- Experience in advertising preferable
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Which of the following candidates is NOT suitable for this job?
- A person with weak organizational skills
- A person who can speak both Thai and English fluently
- A person who has a Master’s degree in Communications
- A person who has worked as an advertiser for a long time
- What can be inferred from the comic strip?
- The boy likes taking a bath.
- The boy doesn’t like taking a bath.
- The boy’s mother likes taking a bath.
- The boy’s mother doesn’t like taking a bath.
1Children with aggressive behavior can be helped in two ways: with prevention and by treating the symptoms as the aggression occurs.
2Preventing behavior before it emerges requires good parenting. By staying in control of their emotions, not using force, using creative ways to solve problems and speaking in a kind, soft tone, parents can provide positive examples for their children. If parents cannot do this, it will be difficult for children to learn good behavior. Another preventive measure is to make the family atmosphere warm, relaxed, and secure. In this sort of environment, the children will grow up to be contented adults, in control of their emotions.
3Not only do parents need to set an example but they have to teach their children how to express their unhappy feelings appropriately. Children must learn to consider other people’s feelings. Cooling down anger by counting from one to ten, practicing breathing exercises, learning how to forgive or praising good behavior are several ways they can be taught.
4Correcting a child’s behavior is not an easy task. It takes a great deal of determination, effort and consistency. However, it is worth all the effort.
- What is this passage mainly about?
- How to control children’s unhappy feelings
- How to help aggressive children
- How to discipline ill-behaved children
- How to learn about children’s behaviors
- What does NOT describe “this sort of environment” (paragraph 2)?
- Which is NOT an example of good parenting?
- Controlling emotions
- Treating children inconsistently
- Speaking with a kind tone
- Finding creative solutions to problems
- Which statement would the writer agree with the most?
- We cannot correct children’s aggressive behavior.
- We can prevent aggression in our children.
- Aggressive behavior is sometimes good for children.
- Aggression in children is not a serious concern.
- What does “they” (paragraph 3) refer to?
- Unhappy feelings
- Breathing exercises
1Dogs can suffer from anorexia, a condition that can occur in both normal and abnormal pets. Symptoms are evident when the owner places food in front of the dog and the animal does not pay attention, not even sniffing at the food. In some cases the dog will just walk away.
2Anorexia can be divided into two kinds. The first, which affects male animals more often than females, is when the pet is not physically ill. For instance, some dogs develop anorexia or related eating problems when they have a new owner, move to a new house, or experience some other stressful event that affects their emotional health. In other cases, anorexia is the result of owners spoiling their pets. When a dog refuses to eat a certain kind of food, the owner may look for another brand that the pet will eat. Now the pet understands how to get its master’s attention, and so it becomes increasingly selective over what it eats. Over time, this can lead to anorexia.
3The second and more common kind of anorexia is when the pet is really sick. There can be many causes. Dehydration, for example, can lead to low blood pressure, depression, and weakness. Ultimately, the pet may lose its ability to eat. Other ailments that can contribute to anorexia are diseases of the liver and kidneys, diabetes, and problems with blood circulation.
4We can prevent anorexia in several ways, but it starts with observing the pets’ behavior at meal time. First, if you notice that your pet is not eating properly, try to observe its reaction and compare it with a normal scenario. Also, try to observe whether it vomits or has a bad stomach. When a new pet is brought into the house, you should not change the food immediately. Try to give it the same type of food it is accustomed to eating. This will reduce the animal’s stress. Pet owners should also train their pets to eat at fixed times. If they do not eat at meal time, take the bowl of food away after 10-15 minutes. Pets can do without a meal for one whole day.
5It is important for the pet owner to notice other types of behavior, such as their pet’s bowel movements, whether it is vomiting, how much interest it shows in playing around, and its appetite for snacks as well. It is definitely not normal when the pet won’t eat its favorite snack. In this case, consult a local veterinarian immediately. The vet should be able to make a diagnosis based on past behavior, a blood test, urine analysis and/or X-rays. Certain adjustments can be made to change the pet’s behavior if it seems to be suffering from anorexia and is not really ill.
- What is true about anorexia?
- It may result from other illnesses such as diabetes and liver disease.
- It does not affect pets whose owners give them a proper diet.
- Stress is the most frequent cause of anorexia in dogs.
- Anorexia can generally be treated by changing the pet’s food.
- Which of the following is closest in meaning to “ailments” (paragraph 3)?
- Bowel movements
- What does “This” (paragraph 4) refer to?
- Suddenly changing the pet’s food
- Giving the pet food it is used to eating
- Bringing a new pet into the house
- Feeding the pet at meal time
- How might a perfectly healthy dog develop anorexia?
- The owner allows the dog to choose its food.
- The owner takes the dog for blood and urine analysis.
- Its bowl of food is taken away after 10-15 minutes.
- It does not sniff at its food.
- What can be concluded from the passage?
- Pet owners should be attentive to their pets’ eating habits because pets can suffer from eating disorders like people do.
- Pet owners should observe their pets during mating season because they suffer from anorexia.
- Training dogs to eat at fixed times will prevent them from vomiting and having a bad stomach.
- When pets suffer from anorexia, owners should increase their appetite by feeding them their favorite snacks.
1Some ecological changes have important ecological consequences. Three well-documented global changes are increasing concentrations of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, alterations in the biogeochemistry of the global nitrogen cycle, and ongoing land use or land cover change. Human activity, now primarily fossil fuel combustion, has increased carbon dioxide concentrations in the Earth’s atmosphere. This is likely to have climatic consequences and direct effects of all of the planet’s terrestrial ecosystems.
2The global nitrogen cycle has been altered by human activity so much that more nitrogen is fixed annually by humanity than by nature, this added nitrogen alters the chemistry of the atmosphere and aquatic ecosystems, and has a substantial impact on biological diversity, especially in developed countries and in Asia, where vehicle emissions and industrial agriculture are highest.
3Finally, human land use or land cover change has transformed half of the Earth’s ice-free surface. This, in and of itself, probably represents the most important component of global change now and in the future, with profound implications for biological diversity around the world.
4These three and other equally critical components of global environmental change are the primary causes of anticipated changes in climate, and of ongoing losses of biological diversity. They are caused, in turn, by the extraordinary growth in size and resource use of the human population.
- What is the best title for this passage?
- Global Environmental Conditions
- Changes in the Global Nitrogen Cycle
- Consequences of Global Warning
- Human-Caused Ecological Changes
- What does “This” (paragraph 1) refer to?
- Increasing carbon dioxide concentrations
- Having climatic consequences
- The Earth’s atmosphere
- The global nitrogen cycle
- Which word is closest in meaning to “alters” (paragraph 2)?
- What does “This” (paragraph 3) refer to?
- Biological diversity in affected areas
- Half of the Earth’s ice-free surface
- Development of ecosystems of affected areas
- Transformation of the Earth’s ice-free surface
- According to the passage, which of the following is TRUE?
- Higher global nitrogen levels are only caused by human activity.
- Burning fossil fuel results in higher concentrations of carbon dioxide.
- There are only three causes contributing to global environmental change.
- The change of nitrogen cycle does not affect biological diversity.
Part Four : Structure and Writing (Items 46-60)
Read the following statements and choose the underlined part that is grammatically wrong.
- Panoramic (1) fixed-glass “moonroofs”, as opposed (2) as “sunroofs” which open and close, (3) are one of the hottest (4) trends in automotive design.
- The majority of the people (1) of Britain (2) has no confidence (3) in an expensive and faceless bureaucracy (4) like the European Union.
- China’s (1) spectacular transformation (2) over the past decade is (3) symbolized in (4) it’s architecture.
- The old building, (1) abandoning for a newer facility, was a war zone–a ruin of (2) overturned desks, textbooks, (3) TVs and other (4) equipment that could have been re-used.
- Jen finished her meal (1) quickly and (2) raised from the table, (3) showing her anger to everyone (4) present at the party.
Choose the best answer to complete the sentence.
- A sizeable quantity of drugs, heroin, has been found and seized, along with a stock of guns and ammunition.
- Please replace everything carefully in the drawers something will get mislaid.
- even though
- or else
- Jenny was taking so much pleasure in her fantasy that she .
- preferred reality to fantasy
- began to laugh out loud
- cried alone in her room
- was wakened by a nightmare
- Medical evidence revealed beyond doubt that Mrs. Marline, who suffered from lung cancer, died from .
- a drug overdose
- a financial problem
- a thrilling experience
- proper medical treatment
- . We are particularly attracted to people who have attitudes similar to our own, who like what we like and who dislike what we dislike.
- It is difficult to find someone who shares similar attitudes
- It would be of great significance to maintain balance
- The more significant the attitude, the more you like the people
- Similarity is especially important when it comes to relationships
Select FIVE of the six choices below (S1-S6) and put them in an appropriate sequence to form a meaningful paragraph. Please note that ONE of these choices will NOT be used.[S1] Beckham proved to be a valuable, talented player for both teams because of his ability to take dangerous free kicks and pass the ball long distances.
[S2] With this soccer talent, Beckham led his country, England, in the 2002 World Cup where their only loss was to Brazil.
[S3] David Beckham has been famous since the late 1990s.
[S4] Despite this defeat, however, Beckham is still greatly admired by his fans for his hard work on the Held and on the training ground.
[S5] Initially, he was a popular soccer player in England for Manchester United and later in Spain for Real Madrid.
[S6] He is married to Victoria Adams, one of the members of the Spice Girls.
- Which item comes first?
- Which item comes second?
- Which item comes third?
- Which item comes fourth?
- Which item comes last?