ข้อสอบเป็นแบบปรนัย 4 ตัวเลือก จำนวน 60 ข้อ คะแนนเต็ม 150 คะแนน
Part One: Speaking (Items 1-15)
Choose the best answer.
- A: I really want to buy a new computer.
B: What? Just an hour ago you were complaining that you have been 1 .
- up and away
- on and off
- down and out
- back and forth
- A: Why is it your favorite fiction?
B: 2 .
- I’m a dependent
- I have a good idea
- I can’t resist its mystery
- I don’t think much
- A: 3 ?
B: It’s up to you.
- Have you thought about what I have said
- Where did I go wrong
- How about some more drink
- Why on earth would you go there
- A: Did you tell the doctor you are cancelling the appointment?
B: No. 4 ?
A: Of course. People expect you to call them when it is necessary to cancel the appointment.
- Should I
- Would I
- Could I
- May I
- A: I wish Susan would talk to me.
B: I know. 5 . All these problems are from a little misunderstanding.
A: Maybe she will call me again soon.
- It’s hard to forget
- It’s a shame
- It’s necessary to do
- It’s impossible
|A:||Good morning sweetheart. Did you sleep well last night?|
|B:||Hey, Dad. Actually, I 6 .|
|A:||Why is that?|
|B:||I feel stressed 7 final exams next week.|
|A:||Why are you worried? You are an excellent student. Haven’t you been studying?|
|B:||Yes. It’s just that 8 . There are so many rules 9 .|
|A:||That was one of my best subjects. Let me know if you need help.|
|B:||Thanks, Dad. I have a study session later in the week. 10 , I’ll ask you.|
- hardly slept at all
- slept like a log
- wanted you to wake me up
- had so many good dreams
- physics is so difficult
- I like my English course more
- mathematics is easier this term
- my chemistry teacher isn’t friendly
- to repeat
- to return
- to rearrange
- to remember
- What if I attend the concert
- Even if the text is so confusing
- If only there is a tutor waiting
- If I have any questions after that
In a social studies class, the teacher and her students are discussing and exchanging their ideas and opinions about the study of decentralization.
|A:||Well, I’d like somebody in this class to read this question for me, please?|
|B:||I’ll do it. ‘Why do you think people should decentralize from Bangkok?’|
|A:||Right, ‘Why do you think people should decentralize from Bangkok?’ The word ‘decentralize’: What do you think the word ‘decentralize’ means? Walai, 11 ? It’s a tough one.|
|B:||Um, when people move out of Bangkok to live somewhere else.|
|A:||That’s right. Move out of Bangkok. Good girl.|
|C:||Move out of Bangkok to live in different provinces.|
|A:||And when people have to decentralize, 12 , or even their specific purposes. Do you agree with that?|
|B:||Yes. We may have to focus on their family members like their children.|
|C:||Right, I’m also thinking about their social economic status as well as their children’s education. 13 , isn’t it?|
|A:||Now, who could just quickly put up their hands and tell me one reason why they think people might decentralize from Bangkok? 14 .|
|B:||Well, because of higher rental payment and inflation.|
|C:||Exactly. As a matter of fact, decentralization is a serious situation for most people when making this decision.|
|A:||So, 15 . There are a lot more answers besides social economic status, education, family needs, and I’d like all of you to complete this discussion within this period.|
- have you a go at that
- will you set up one topic
- do you have any question
- can you give one more meaning
- they want to leave many things
- they seem to have more thoughtful ideas
- they may take actions on further studying
- they’ve got to think about their businesses
- It’s all small stuff
- It’s so important
- It’s quite annoying
- It’s questionable
- I can think of lots
- You can take time
- Anyone can solve the problem
- It can have a superficial way
- many people should be more obligatory
- you students must consider why it works
- this question here needs to be carefully answered
- I should say how people decentralize from the capital city
Part Two: Vocabulary (Items 16-30)
Items 16-20: One doesn’t belong
Three of the words in each group relate to each other somehow. Choose the word that does not belong with others.
Items 21-25 : Analogy
The two given words are associated somehow in their meaning. Choose the pair that has the same kind of relationship.
- judge: court
- cashier: counter
- writer: agency
- general: military base
- artist: museum
- industrious: idle
- impartial: biased
- enthusiastic: anxious
- hospitable: gracious
- austere: strict
- gauntlet: hand
- glove: arm
- mask: face
- helmet: neck
- amulet: shoulder
- crumb: bread
- bar: chocolate
- herd: cattle
- ounce: weight
- splinter: wood
- depression: emotion
- pollution: ozone
- diffusion: perfume
- illusion: shadow
- pattern: design
Items 26-30: Meaning in Context
Choose the best answer to make the sentences meaningful.
- People won’t give their opinions during meetings in case they are wrong. They don’t want to .
- do an about face
- lose face
- face to face
- keep a straight face
- Children themselves and upset other people.
- Companies that try to reduce spending on customer service may find it difficult to all the complaints from customers.
- When robots are safe and aware of their , they will be widely used and will start to take on tasks such as playing the violin.
- A dam was built across the river and the result used as a drinking water until recently, when oil spilled from a tanker and made the water .
Part Three: Structure and Writing (Items 31-45)
Items 31-35 : Read the following statements and choose the underlined part that is grammatically wrong.
- A firefighter has just crawled (1) across the (2) smoke-filled attic, trying to open a window for (3) ventilating, but no one (4) can find him now.
- (1) Environmental experts claim that (2) Planet Earth is steadily warming up (3) because of human activities, and the developed world is (4) primary responsible for this.
- I (1) was staring at my computer screen, which was (2) as blank as my (3) mine, wishing that some brilliant idea would pop into my head, and render me capable of producing (4) a thousand-word essay.
- The hypothesis of (1) the psychological science study was that (2) the more power a person has, (3) the less capacity he has to take (4) other person’s perspective.
- Some anthropologists have proposed that alcohol production (1) may have predated agriculture; (2) with all, it no doubt (3) stimulated that development, as in many parts of the world the cereal harvest (4) was largely given over to beer making.
Items 36-40: Choose the best answer to complete the sentence.
- the growth rings of the tiny crystalline structure in the inner ear of a fish reveal the age of the creature.
- Fishermen have long known that
- It is long known that fishermen see
- Revealed by fishermen who have known that
- As fishermen have known for a long time that
- The benefit to the plants is that the animals disperse the plant’s seeds.
- allowing animals take their fruit
- to allow their fruit taken for animals
- for allowing animals to take their fruits
- allowed their fruit to take animals
- It is the season to get outside, the season of new green, new birth and new dreams, and on a fun-filled nature-touch vacation than our beautiful national parks.
- it is better much to take your family
- you had better take a place for your family
- a place to take your better family must be
- there is no better place to take your family
- Experts agree that heavy rain will fall more frequently in a warmer world because higher temperatures .
- increase the amount of water vapor in the air
- balance the heavy rainfall events in other places
- rise sharply causing the cloud to formulate precipitation
- change the amount of energy that can be stored in the atmosphere
- Professor Jones is a math genius, .
- so he hasn’t made any changes
- and he trusts each other without doubt
- he has a farm on his land, though
- but Steve cannot make heads or tails of what he has said
Choose the given choices to fill in the blanks.
- Vegetarians have unhealthy diets.
- Vegetarians are less likely to develop cancer.
- Vegetarians should change their diets to reduce cancer.
- Vegetarian diets switch off genes that promote cancer.
. They tend to live longer than other people, according to a study recently published in the British Medical Journal. The incidence of death from cancer among the vegetarians was found to be 40% lower than that of meat lovers. Vegetarians eat less saturated fat than meat-eaters and more foods containing antioxidants, which are believed to help protect against cancer.
- With luck, you will have arrived shortly before the last tourist bus departs.
- Your first sight of Machu Picchu in the distance will be your most marvelous time of life.
- You will never forget the very instant you lay your eyes on the great Incan city that is your goal.
- You have found an easy way, a hard way and something in between that combines adventures and comfort in sublime proportion.
Beholding the ancient Incan ruins of Machu Picchu as they rise from the Peruvian jungle is a joy that deserves to be on everyone’s travel wish list. But did you know that there is more than one way to arrive at this World Heritage Site? How you approach Machu Picchu is going to affect your experience of it, so consider the options carefully before you embark on this once-in-a-lifetime experience. The quickest and easiest way is, as you would expect, to follow the crowd by taking a four-hour train from Cuzco to a small town of Aguas Calientes. From there, a 20-minute bus journey transports them to the famous ruins. The hardest way, on the other hand, involves joining a guided trek of the long Inca Trail. However, our favorite approach is the short Inca Trail. For this, guides are necessary, and you will be paying upwards of $250. How is that for a sense of arrival? .
- The high rates of rejection are often quoted.
- The situation this year involves only the very top universities.
- Schools report why only selected applicants will be accepted for admission.
- College admissions officers give a number of reasons for the higher rates of rejection.
Some of America’s best universities have accepted an unusually low percentage of students for admission. . They say the main reason is that high school students are applying to more schools than in the past. Another reason is the general increase in students going to college.
- Most greenhouses look like a small glass house.
- Greenhouses are commonly found in cold countries.
- Most greenhouses work in the same way as greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.
- Greenhouses are often used to grow plants in a tropical region.
. Greenhouses work by trapping heat from the sun. The glass panels of the greenhouse let in light but keep heat from escaping. This causes the greenhouse to heat up, much like the inside of a car parked in sunlight, and keep the plants warm enough to live.
- People can save the environment by depositing waste for recycling.
- You can throw away waste to save on the costs and energy.
- Waste such as paper, cardboard or plastic bottles should be biodegradable.
- This can prevent reusable materials being buried in land fill waste sites.
Everyone should recycle as much of their waste as possible. . Recycling does not cost anything, takes only a little extra time, and can make an amazing difference to the world. It is important for everyone to use recycled products without any loss in quality.
Part Four: Reading (Items 46-60)
Read the following texts and choose the best answer.
- How many elderly people live at Elder Kare America, Inc.?
- Who does this ad mainly target?
- job seekers
- elderly residents
- healthcare companies
- children of elderly people
- What type of daily activities does Elder Kare provide for its residents?
- shopping and travelling
- visits to doctors and hospitals
- activities of interest to each person
- cooking, first aid, and CPR classes
- Which word probably best describes the residents of Elder Kare?
- How would you describe the cost of staying at Elder Kare, compared to those with the same service?
- dirt cheap
No matter where you live or when you were born, you almost surely have at least a small amount of DDT stored in the fatty tissues of your body. Why? This notorious toxic pesticide, which led to the extinction of the American bald eagle in 1970s, has long been banned in the U.S. and most other developed countries. But according to a new report by the World Wildlife Fund in Washington, DDT is still used in many developing nations, mainly because it’s so effective in controlling mosquitoes that carry the malaria parasite.
The persistence of DDT is a problem—and not just in the countries that use it. DDT and several other common chlorine-containing pesticides are sturdy molecules that can stay intact for decades. They evaporate into the atmosphere and are blown by the wind all over the globe. They condense and fall to the ground in cold weather, especially in higher altitudes. Some of the highest concentrations of DDT are found in polar bears, penguins and the Inuit people of northern Canada.
Although levels of DDT contamination are gradually falling in countries where the pesticide has been banned, new scientific research suggests that the chemicals are still a serious threat everywhere. Studies show that even small amounts of pesticides can disrupt the working of human hormones, interfering with reproduction and the functioning of the immune system. That’s why representatives of more than 100 nations gathered at a U.N. meeting in Nairobi to work toward a global treaty that would phase out DDT and 11 other pesticides, known as the “dirty dozen.” Environmentalists say it’s possible to find alternative way to fight malaria—and get rid of DDT once and for all.
- What is the writer’s tone of the text?
- Which of the following would be the best title for this text?
- DDT is still around—and still a menace
- Where there is DDT, there is no malaria
- Get rid of DDT in order to save wildlife
- DDT contamination is a trivial threat everywhere
- Which of the following does the writer conclude at the end?
- DDT is the most effective chemical in controlling mosquitoes that carry the malaria parasite.
- A small amount of pesticides can disrupt the working of both human hormone and immune system.
- The molecules of DDT and several other common chlorine-containing pesticides cannot be damaged for many years.
- A global treaty that would phase out DDT and 11 other notorious toxic pesticides should be enacted very soon.
- Why does the writer refer to the new scientific research?
- to state the impact linked to DDT and other pesticides
- to illustrate the serious threats caused by DDT and other pesticides
- to show the amounts of DDT and other pesticides involved with human hormones
- to explain the effectiveness of DDT and other pesticides in controlling mosquitoes
- What is the writer primarily concerned with?
- Controlling the use of DDT that has not yet been successful for long
- Encouraging the readers to realize how significant DDT is
- Giving examples of the hazardous effects of DDT on human health, wildlife, and plants
- Discussing the persistence and effects of DDT and several other pesticides found all over the globe
When asked about the future of TV and of video on the internet, people reveal profound differences in attitudes based on age groups, We asked people ages 12-64 if they agreed with two statements about the future of TV and competition with the computer for entertainment time. When asked whether they agreed that “the computer increasingly competes with the TV for my entertainment time,” 29% of people said they agreed or strongly agreed with the statement. Males overall agreed at a slightly higher rate than females, and, importantly when looking at future trends, the younger generation of 18-to-24-year-olds was considerably more focused on the computer as competition for the TV; 36% agreed vs. 29% for the total population. Only 25% of 35-to 44-year-olds said the computer competes with the TV for entertainment. When we asked consumers if the internet represents “the future” of video viewing, the group that agreed most strongly was the 18-to-24 group with 28% of men agreeing and 20% of women. Clearly, the 18-to-24 population is leading the way in adopting new paradigms for entertainment.
- Which of the following would be the best title for the text?
- On Digital Communications
- The Challenges of Digital Entertainment
- The Increasing Popularity of TV
- The Computer VS. TV for Entertainment Time
- According to the passage, all of the following are false, EXCEPT .
- Males slightly favored TV more than the computer.
- The middle aged like the computer as much as TV.
- Teenagers admitted that the internet could compete with TV.
- Adult consumers preferred watching video on the internet to the TV.
- What can the word “paradigms” be described as?
- What is the writer’s purpose?
- To disseminate the entertainment news
- To alarm people of the widespread use of computer
- To query people if the computer can catch up with the TV
- To inform people about the future trends in entertainment
- Where would you expect to read this text?
- gossip column
- digital technology news